Week 8 - Gallete des rois, House warming and Rene's VTT Bike

Rene made it a surprising special Sunday for me.

A new friend offered me to take his second bike, which he has not been using for quite sometime. 
I had been searching for a good hybrid since last few weeks. I was happy with the offer and went to check it out and pick it up.
He promptly cameup to the last tram stop (20 mins from city) and drove me home.

Was welcomed at home with lot of warmth along with his wife.
First thing caught my attention was huge collection of ‪#Manga‬ comics. learnt it was 20 years collection of the comics, initial ones in Japanese and rest in French.
then i was offered to smell 10 different Green teas and make a choice. I've not been a connoisseur at this, but chose the French Marrge Tea for this time.
Followed by lot of local pasteries.
Rene gave me tips on biking in mountains, safety, avalanches, devices to use, and also demoed the one he had.
After all this, we went down to check the bike. To my surprise this was no ordinary bike. it turned out to be a complicated MTB.
It took us 1 hour and 3 iterations of initial tuning to get the bike adaptable for my weight and posture.
Central shaft weight distribution check, Rear ACG check, front shocks pressure check, Disk break alignment check, shafts alignment, special shoes to lock my feet to the pedals, and then a whole set of accessories to use for the rest of the season.
I've done a bit of tuning various sub systems in my personal / professional life but not a bike.
this was initial tuning. Based on how i find it with my rides, I was taught to tune it to my taste later.
Once all this was done, he was even more kind enough to put this into his car and drive me home (40 mins drive) on a late sunday evening.
Feeling more the welcomed. Adding to this was saturdays House warming celebration at my place with guests from various national. Will write about it next week.
this light wieght MTB is my new mate ... musical instrument, writing, snow and Skiing being the other friends i've made here so far

@Residhome near caserne de bonne



Herbal Green tea collection @ Rene's house



Rene's bike. No I'm not borrowing this bike



Lot of stuff (or …) :-)


    

Accessories

 

VTT bike - Velo Tout Terrain (cycle for all terrains)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday - was an eventful gathering - a first one at my apartment. Celebrated Gallete de

Had settled down at new place by Dec 19th. Wanted to have a gathering at place, but since it was a holiday season, most of the invitees were not sure of joining me.

I decided to do it just after people return, and as a New year gathering at new place.

It was the first Saturday immediately after everyone resumed work.

Invited colleagues from B10, Sriprem gurung and family : the first person that I met in Grenoble,
Residhome aparthotel staff who made my stay there pleasant one, my relocation angel Sandrine, who helped me with everything, French tutor Nathalie and her family, my neighbors - Newzealand couple, a french  girl and a french lady.

Since I was expecting quite a few, planned to keep it simple and minimal work for me.

Got some La Biere (mix of Irish, german and french), chips to munch, cookies, fresh bread and olive oil and some Juice.
Also had few bottles of wine at my place, from my Ikea visit earlier.

 

The only thing I planned to prepare was native Indian sweet - Le Carrot de sucre (carrot halwa)
Based on my past experience, most westerners are wary of eating Indian sweet, because of excess sugar, excess ghee, excess dry fruits. Indian sweet is an excessive explosive for them.

I had everything required for the carrot halwa, except Ghee. I tried couple of marches, and realized, there is no concept of Ghee here in Grenoble. I managed with cooking oil this time :-)

Prepared roughly 3 bowls which is good for 3 people's dessert.

But inspite of 12 people present on the day, only 2 bowls got consumed. I had other one all for myself.

    

I prepared the halwa, started grabbing a quick lunch at 3:20 pm and my tutor was at the door already.

I paused my lunch. We had a 1.5 hour lessons. I had requested her to close by 5pm, so I get some time to prepare  before the guests starts pouring in.

Newzealand Couple - Jackson - Rugby player and his wife research engineer, were the first one, followed by Karim, Nathalie and Sandrine.

By 6 everyone was home. 

Mike had offered to get some chairs and also a special King cake - Galette des rois.
There is  a story of 3 kings, who got lot of gifts for Jesus Christ, and the cake and celebrations is linked to that story.  

     

Karim got the small lamp and he was the lucky one to sport the crown for the rest of the evening.
Some anatomy happening. Karim explaining to Galina


  


The beer buddies enjoying their talk and one after the other :-)


Was glad I invited Nico's friend Michael roux (I didn’t not know him). He works for 2 years and travells for 6 months, which has become a routing for few years now.

We exchanged lot of travel stories, and got connected quite well.




 


Sandrine - my angel having a deep conversation with my tutor and her family. Van der sanden seen enjoying the fun

Mr Sanden is nano technology professor at Grenoble university, been living there for 40 years.

My French Guru - Nathalie - a sweet and soft lady. She being married to a Dutch, unknowingly switches to Dutch during lessons.  Her kid getting bugged with this party, as he was the only

A Brit husband and his Chelsian Wife


  

Post party cleanup



 

And the poster my colleague Karim brought me. He doesn’t like me being here.

Everyone left at around 10. Karim and Nicolas, my immediate colleagues stayed back.

I offered some freshly brought Porto Wine (Tawny Reserver - special one). Cooked some blende pasta. Not sure if the liked it.
Also offered them special canned porto fish to their delight.

As a french culture, everyone gets something to eat/drink.  I got a few wine bottles, champagnes and lots of chocolates, stocked for next 3 months :-)

It turned out to be a mini global meet at grenoble. Had people from all over the world, Nzland, India, France, Germany, Bulgaria, UK, South America, Netherlands.

Was a long tough day, but people brought in lot of energy and good wishes.



a Bientot!

Comments

Popular Posts